The Stoopid Autumn Gardener

1) Cole crops with… wait for it… white flies?

2) Cabbage and broccoli are far tastier to rabbits in the fall than in the spring.  I want my hasenpfeffer!

3) If you’re going to grow 14 broccoli plants and 14 cauliflower plants in the fall garden, when you typically only grow 4 of each in the spring garden, you have to have 28 wire cages, instead of 8, if you want to have 28 plants by harvest time.  #mathavoidance

4) Cabbage whites in September.  Who knew?

5) You can’t harvest sunflowers with pruning shears.  Buy a machete, fool.

6) This year’s flock of chicken’s favorite mode of locomotion = flight.  #nospinach4me

7) Dear chickens: if you decide to roost in the trees at night one more time, I’m LEAVING you there for the owls.  I’m too old to climb a ladder in the dark.  Chumps.

8) Guess what?  Cole crops like cool weather. #Ireaditinabook

9) You still hafta water. #flaccidturnips.

10) Mosquitoes.  ‘Nuff said.

17 thoughts on “The Stoopid Autumn Gardener

1. Skeeters!!! U said it! October 1st & I’m still scratching…nooooooo! According to long-term forecasts, may still be scratching come November. *Big sigh*

2. Yes, why are the mosquitoes still around in the fall? The weather has been perfect, but they are keeping me from enjoying the outdoor work!

I’ve used more stinky bug spray now that the weather has cooled off than I did all freaking summer! I guess I’m so used to spending my fall indoors, what with school starting up, that I didn’t anticipate this particular outdoor annoyance in relation to garden-work. Silly me!

3. Margaret Katranides says:

Instead of stoopid, I prefer “learning.”

There are many things — especially regarding pest-control — that as an experienced gardener I could have anticipated, if I’d actually applied *reason* to the garden, rather than approaching it with a somewhat “out of sight out of mind” mentality. I’m multi-tasking in the fall much more intensively than I do during the spring and summer. Despite my best intentions and the fact that I’m only working part time (medical leave issues) I’m finding it much more difficult to keep the garden *salient.* More than anything else, this relationship to the garden is new to me.

4. This cracks me up because it’s so honest. I love the photography in this post. Very artsy. 🙂

You’re so kind… but the photography is just of what’s in the yard… old seed heads and the last flush of a few tired blooms.

I think more honesty from garden magazines and related media is important. It’s part of why I started this blog. Somebody has got to tell the sho’nuff truth about gardening. It’s a lot of durned work is what it is!

5. Lrong says:

Your ‘Dear chickens’ comment… had me rolling on the floor… 🙂

6. I wasn’t sure if I should laugh or cry as I felt your pain…skeeters won’t be gone until we get a freeze…and cabbage whites also last a long time here so I have to cover anything in the cabbage family as it is food for them and not me..

I should have *known* about the cabbage whites. It isn’t like I was born *yesterday!* I don’t know when it will frost here. Sometimes not until November… 😦