The Generosity Compulsion

If there is one thing that nature isn’t it’s stingy.

Can any flower match the ebullient generosity of the sunflower?

It’s autumn and the garden is a set table prepared for everyone.

The hummingbirds visit the late-blooming flowers and say grace.

We, too,  bow our heads at the groaning table.

“A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap.” (Luke, 6:38).

10 thoughts on “The Generosity Compulsion

1. Autumn?!!! Say it ain’t so…I’m not done with summer yet! Well, whatever the calendar says, you certainly have a lovely & delish harvest there, Sho’Nuff–congratz!!!

Thanks! What with the kids going back to school and the academic semester starting in my own career, it’s hard for me to think of this time of year as anything other than “fall” even though the temps are in the 90s.

2. Lrong says:

Lovely looking harvest! We are still very much in the midst of summer… can’t wait for autumn to come…

3. Barbara Allen says:

Those pictures are fabulous! If you had a B & B, I’d come :-D.

There wasn’t much of a summer here in the ATL, although I can’t say I’m sorry to see August go. But with the cooler temperatures comes the shorter days that challenge me so.

4. Laurrie says:

Prolific, bounteous, and abundant! Wow.

The heavy rains helped. The tomatoes have a very good texture but they aren’t very sweet this year. There just wasn’t enough sun and not nearly enough hot days.

5. The squirrels have been helping themselves to my veggies so I think squirrel burgers might be the next menu item at my groaning table. They ate my best tomato today. Grrr!!!

6. Susan says:

I love this time of year. I grew up on a farm and harvest was a glorious time.